For more information watch Forks Over Knives!
I am now on the board for this awesome non-profit, Ten Rivers Food Web that works to help small farmers. I partnered with them to start the first ever Vegetable & Fruit Prescription program in Oregon. To begin to change the health of our nation access to healthy foods is essential. 1 in 7 americans are food insecure, 1 in 5 children live under the poverty line and on average americans get 90% of their daily calories from processed foods and factory-farmed animal products. This leaves just 10% for plants and whole grains. This is simply a recipe for chronic disease. Traditionally humans in temporate climates ate 90% of their calories from plants, fruits, nuts and seeds and 0-10% from animal products and no processed foods. Guess what, cancer and heart disease were virtually non-existent back in the day. Cancer and heart disease continue to be very low in traditional cultures that continue to eat this way. In my clinic and with Ten Rivers we are working to increase the good. Shift that 10%. Scientifically, we know that a whole foods plant-based diet along with regular exercise can decrease heart disease and cancer risk up to 90%. Health is not rocket science believe it or not. Just start by eating more plants, even if it is just one serving a day or a week! And please check out us out and help us out if you feel inspired! At the very least, eat more plants grown my your local farmers and watch the magic happen. Have a great Friday!
For more information about what we are doing at Ten Rivers Food Web: http://www.tenriversfoodweb.org/thats-my-farmer/thats-my-farmer-rx/
For the science in a nifty, entertaining documentary: http://www.forksoverknives.com/
For educational resources on the benefits of a plant-based diet: http://pcrm.org/